Winter. The season of sweatpants and laziness. The excuse we all give ourselves to binge watch those shows we’ve been hearing about and read that growing pile of books in the corner of our bedrooms. The bane of some of our existences. But ya know what? There are people – especially Minnesota people – who LOVE the idea of winter, especially winter sports. I fit somewhere in the middle of the two. This is why I took my family out to experience the brand new DICK’S House of Sport outdoor ice rink on its grand opening weekend. The rink, which is located in the DICK’S at Ridgedale Mall in Minnetonka, MN, is such a sweet addition to an already incredible store!
The ice rink has been in the works since the Ridgedale store opened in Summer 2022 and on November 19, it opened its doors to the public. Our family took a look-see at what it was all about grand opening weekend and we had a great time zipping (slowly) around the rink. The cotton candy sky was just icing on the cake of a chilly, peaceful night welcoming winter at DICK’S at Ridgedale.
Let’s learn a little more about DICK’S House of Sport ice rink:
- Open skate is available Fridays 4-8pm, Saturdays 12-6pm, and Sundays 12-6pm – and some holiday/school breaks.
- Price is $8/person You can see open times when you go to reserve your space online (which can also be done in person).
- Yes, they offer skate rentals for $5/person. You certainly can bring your own skates as well. DICK’S offers skate sharpening for $8.
- Skate trainers are available for the taking for free. First come first served.
- The rink is outdoors. You simply walk to The Field area tucked back on the lower level of DICK’S near the golf putting space and the stand-up paddle boards. The rink is right outside the double sliding doors.
- You will need to sign a waiver to skate. You can also do that online before you head out.
- The rink is open for the 2022-23 season until Sunday, February 25, 2023.
RENT ICE TIME
If you need some ice time, DICK’S House of Sport ice rink offers ice time for rent all days of the week. Prices range depending on off- and on-peak days from $90-$175 for 2-5 hour time slots. You can learn about rink rentals and book your time online here.
Are you an avid skater (or just someone who wants to practice)? DICK’S new rink offers season passes to use their ice during open skate hours. Season passes are $30/individual; $80/family of up to 4; $100/family of 5; $120/family of 6. Buy your season passes online here.
LEARN TO SKATE
The new skate rink offers Learn to Skate classes in partnership with the Herb Brooks Foundation. This is a 6-week program in 2022-23 that starts 12/4/22 and ends 2/12/23. It’s geared towards ages 5-12 and you can sign up for one session or all of them. Doesn’t matter! Info can be found here.
There are plenty of special events listed for the ice rink on their website, from soccer on ice to skating with Santa to birthday parties, and more! See the full list and book online here.
Skating outside the DICK’S House of Sport was a chilly, wintery wonderlandy experience and I’m so glad we went and enjoyed true Minnesota weather while moving our bodies and being together.
But the fun didn’t stop there…the House of Sport has no shortage of other entertaining activities (indoors…don’t worry). What else do they have?